Details: Barrels used for wine or other low alcohol spirit should be cleaned after each use. Tequila, Whiskey or other high alcohol content spirits require cleaning on a less frequent cycle. Always clean your barrel when moving from one spirit to another. The kit includes everything you need to clean, neutralize, and sterilize a 1-5 litre barrel for re-use or storage.
1oz Barrel Neutralizing Acid
2 Sterilizing Tablets
- Dissolve the Barrel-Kleen into 2.5 U.S. gallon of warm water. Fill the barrel with this cleaning solution and soak for 24 hours. Empty and rinse 3 times with hot water.
- Dissolve the Neutralizing Acid into 2.5 gallon of warm water. Fill the barrel with this neutralizing solution and soak for 15 minutes. Empty and rinse the barrel 3 times with hot water.
- To re-char the barrel interior, drain the barrel for 3 hours. Place a butane torch in the bung and spigot hole and re-char the inside.
- When storing the barrel or prior to re-use, dissolve the 2 sterilizing tablets in 1 gallon of cool water. Fill the barrel with the solution. Swish around for a few minutes and rinse 3 times with hot water.
- To prevent the barrel from drying out and minimize the possibility of contamination, barrels should always be stored full with spirits or sterilizing solution. Barrels left without liquid will dry out.